Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Best of 2012 (so Far): Video Games

Everyone knows that the games industry releases its best and brightest in the fall, leaving the months of January through August to have a couple of big hits, lots of indie games and sports simulators. So the games that end up on this list fall directly in to this camp, I mean I have 3 downloadable games on a best of the year (so far) list. You never see a downloadable game win best of the year. But I guess that's better to highlight them here before all the big sequel heavy fall season.

The Walking Dead
Yes, as of today not all the episodes have been released but each chapter can be bought as a separate game so shut up. Yes a point and click adventure game is one of the best I've played this year, but its been a while since I've played a branching story line in a game with choices this tough. Based on similarly grey TV series and excellent comic book series , this game has re invigorated my interest in the point and click genre and the concept of episodic games. This game has some of the best writing of the year and the most interesting characters. The puzzles sometimes leave a little to be desired in challenge but the story just sucks you in like water going down the plughole.

Spelunky
Funny how much XBLA kicked ass this year outside of the actual Summer of Arcade which was full of games that ranged from sadly mediocre (Deadlight), to annoying (Hybrid) and obvious cash grab (Tony Hawk). But right outside that lay the super fun but extremely difficult lay Spelunky, the XBLA version of Demon's Souls. Spelunky is like a retro throwback to the days of gem collection, cavern exploration and controller throwing difficulty. Yes Spelunky is a wonderful little game that will kill you as you try to survive but also search for treasures, although if you die its back to the beginning of the game although its almost always your fault not the game's. Its a game that rewards careful planning, exploration and patience.

Mass Effect 3
The only real blockbuster to be released so far this year, Mass Effect 3 is fantastic from start to finish. Yes I said to finish because the ending is good people, it fits perfectly. If you didn't like it fine but remember the whole game is the ending of the series not just the last five minutes. And what an ending it is. I can't yet call it the best game in the series because of the equally fantastic quality of the Mass Effect 2. But the shooting is tighter than its ever been, the story&writing are fantastic, it's full of tragic, exciting, and breathtaking moments. It's just a fantastic game that demands to be replayed by importing different saves just to see how much the story and moments can change.

Journey
So far this is my favorite game of the year, possibly one of my favorite games in a couple of years. Game after game, year after year Thatgamecompany has been pumping out some fine examples of artistic games that understand the importance of theme, beauty and fun. But if one problem had to picked from there previous games flOw and flower it was that it created an interesting and emotional narrative. Journey fixes this problem by revolutionizing co op, play in Joseph Campbell play-set, look better than dozens of 60 dollar games and cause myself to experience some of the broadest emotions a video game has ever done so. So yeah that's where the bars at for game of the year.

Spec Ops: The Line
I want to tell you what makes Spec Ops The Line one of the best games of the year (so far), but I can't. I can't because what makes this game a revolutionary experience I'd have to talk about the story, which would be spoiling one fucking emotionally deadening story. Lets say that I thought I knew this game when I started playing, that it would be a Gears/CoD rip off with sand. But no, no it is not. This game uses its narrative to really say something about war, PTSD and the nature of video games as a whole. Its multi layered, grim as hell, deeply thematic, the adjectives stretch on to the horizon. Its just a game that you must play if you care about the concept of games as an artistic statement, or you love games that care about melding gameplay with story. This and Journey are games that simply must be played.

Okay so this special recommendation goes to recent Sleeping Dogs. The game has problem in its story and shooting, but this is one fun open world game that mixes the best of GTA and Yakuza, with some solid graphics and writing thats definitely worth playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment